🧑🏽🍳 Level: ⭐⭐
⌛Prep Time: 25 minutes | Bake time: 30 minutes
📈Calories per Serving: 357
There's nothing better than this healthy carrot cake recipe - it's delicious, sugar-free, and easy to make! A great choice to end a nice dinner alongside a cup of tea or coffee.
The ingredients list might seem a bit long, but no worries, this sugar free cake is easy to make even for beginners !
- 2 cups blanched almond flour
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- 1 cup Xucker Basic Erythrite
- ½ cup shredded coconut (make sure that the product you buy is unsweetened)
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed meal
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ⅓ cup olive oil (or coconut oil, melted and cooled)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ⅓ cup canned coconut milk
- ¼ cup tahini
- 1 cup grated carrot (fresh)
- ⅓ cup toasted pecans (optional- if you choose to add this ingredient, toast at 180°c for 8-10 minutes.)
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- ½ cup salted butter, softened (not melted)
- ½ Kg cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 cup Xucker Basic Erythritolt
Don't skip the tahini! This is the secret ingredient to make the cake moist and also adds a wonderful flavour.
- Preheat the oven to 180°c and prepare two 22cm round cake pans with parchment paper (use a little oil or butter to help the paper stick along the sides of the pan).
- Combine all of the dry ingredients (except for the toasted pecans) in a large mixing bowl: almond flour, coconut flour, Erythritol, unsweetened coconut, baking powder, baking soda, salt, flaxseed meal, and spices.
- Mix the dry ingredients together then set the bowl aside.
- Combine the wet ingredients in a small mixing bowl: olive oil, vanilla, eggs, vinegar, coconut milk, and tahini.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry mixture. Stir for about 30 seconds, or until well combined.
- Add the grated carrot to the mixture. If you prefer toasted pecans in the cake, then add ⅓ cup instead (or save for topping the cake).
- Divide the cake batter evenly between the two cake pans. Spread them with a spatula to even out the top (a food scale can be used here to make sure that the amounts are even).
- Place both pans on the middle rack of the oven and bake at 180°F for 18-20 minutes. If you’re not sure, you can insert a toothpick in the center, if it comes out clean- they are ready. The cakes will rise slightly.
- Remove from the oven and let them cool completely. Place them in the freezer for 15 minutes before frosting to help prevent crumbs from getting into the frosting.
- For the frosting: beat together the softened cream cheese, butter, sweetener, and vanilla for about 5 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Remove the cakes from the freezer and carefully pop them out of the pan. Peel away the parchment paper and discard.
- To frost: Place one cake layer on a cake stand or serving plate with a sheet of parchment paper underneath. Place about ⅓ of the cream cheese frosting on top of the cake and spread it evenly to make a thick layer, about 1 cm. Set the other cake on top, then spread the remaining frosting across the entire cake and down the sides. Top with toasted pecans or shredded coconut (optional).